BE THE MACHINE
Here’s my challenge to you, over the next 3 weeks you (we) will see how strong your body is. Using no machines, no cable systems, and limited cardio equipment we will take your body out of it’s comfort zone.
Why use machines when you can be one?
This program will focus on using your bodyweight, barbells, free weights, and accessory equipment such as BOSU, medicine, stability balls, TRX straps, bands, etc. Cardio machines such as the treadmill and bikes will be used as options for those who can’t make it outside to run/walk or can’t physically do so.
So let’s see what is in store:
*OPTIONAL FINISHER: 10 minute run/walk for distance*
- For the cardio warm up: if you have access to run or walk outside do that- it’s summer time! Otherwise use a machine if you must, but there is always the option of bodyweight cardio (jumping jacks, high knees, butt kickers, etc.)
- If you don’t have a bar like the one I used (see video) for the bar rows and over the bar burpees. Just use dumbbells for the row and do regular burpees
- For the inverted rows: you can set that up using a smith machine or a squat rack, just have the bar low enough that you could sit under it
- If you don’t have kettlebells, all of the exercises can be done using dumbbells
- For the walking lunges- if you can’t ‘walk’ because of knee or balance issues do 10 step forward lunges then 10 setp back lunges
- Broad jump option: squat to long steps or squat to heel touch (bring your foot up towards your hand as you stand, and tap it with your hand)
I did Orangetheory this day 😉 If you don’t have access to one do the following running/walking intervals:
Option A: 10 rounds – can be done inside or outside
- 1 minute fast (heavy breathing)
- 30 seconds slow (your slow speed should NOT be snail slow, make it a speed you could do for about 25 minutes)
- Find a hilly neighborhood and run/walk for 25-35 minutes
- Find a local football field and run/walk to bleachers for 15-25 minutes
*OPTIONAL FINISHER: 10 minute run/walk for distance* (beat your Monday distance if possible)
- If no TRX: do LIGHT dumbbell chest press and tricep extension
- Jump squats- take the jump out 🙂
- If no ball for ball slams: find a medicine ball or weight and hold it at your chest and do a squat and then press the weight up while you are standing in the squat (will resemble a thruster)
Rest day, you deserve it 😉
*OPTIONAL FINISHER: 5 rounds of jumprope until failure*
- Progressive deadlift means to keep the same reps but add more weight each set
- Jumping pull ups: TRY NOT to use an assisted machine. Instead set a smith machine or squat rack bar to a height that if you sit directly under it, the bar comes to your wrist when your arms are extended straight up. From the seated position, using your feet to help, do a pull up
- If no TRX- do reverse grip dumbbell row and EITHER ab machine roll out OR plank jacks
- Side step tuck jump option- side step to 1 high knees each
- I didn’t get a video of rolling get ups (sorry) try this link – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwd3KRq8Es0
You set a time goal and AMRAP it!
Active rest 🙂 Go for walk, play a sport, find an outdoor activity, do some stretching. Whatever floats your boat!